Monday, September 3, 2007

Crazy Chinese Business Analyses

As promised: I’d get back on Crazy Egg's analysis of our China Business site. And – call me crazy – I couldn’t wait and ran a test this weekend. The results of which I’m happy to share. What makes our China Business site click? Have a look!

My First conclusions (make sure to click for the large version of the jpg):
  • Most visitors click in the top 10 or 20% of your page if it is as long as ours is. So it is love at first sight, or you are out.
  • Big surprise to me was that almost nobody clicks on the pictures (they link just as well, but somehow most people prefer the text link). What is the expression? Mind over matter; function over form; something like that? Help me out here. Content is king? You tell me…

  • People absolutely love to click on poll radio-buttons (bet your statistics program never found that out for you until now, right?).
  • When provided for, visitors actually use the search function on your web site – also quite remarkable. I mean with Google toolbar in place to search for content directly on any site, I’d personally NEVER use that.

  • And finally, I’m not sure yet if visitors actually click on specific words in text-links or not. Most clicks are centered, but the ‘prominent’/’interesting’-topic words seem to outperform the others by a fraction.

Jump to a crazy – way to early to decide – conclusion? Why not. Don’t forget there are many more things to deduct from this data – not to mention what Crazy Egg’s confetti feature has to offer. But here’s what I think matters to potential advertisers:

Drum roll?
From this day on I’m convinced that advertisers (China Business related, or any for that matter) should demand a spot in the top section of your pages, and should be well happy to pay at least xx times more for that spot than the amount paid for advertisements on the bottom of pages.

Also: they should demand text based ads. As our site for instance draws many people looking for China Business, China market, China sourcing, China law, etc. make sure to get those words in in your copy, and you’ll be looking forward to a crazy response on your China advertising dollar!

M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very useful analyses. This Crazy Egg's website really gives a good insight. I'm sure it helps to optimize http://www.chinasuccessstories.com
I use google analytics and alexa to find out the behaviour of visitors.